More than a dozen people have been arrested over their alleged involvement in a fatal attack on a young man who was stabbed to death in Melbourne earlier this year.
Detectives executed search warrants from 5.30am across the city’s west, arresting 13 people – the youngest being a 15-year-old boy.
Police said the arrests form part of the investigation into the stabbing of Lino Atem in Wyndham Vale on January 10.
READ MORE: Man hit by car after collapsing on suburban road in Melbourne
Police had initially responded to reports of a group of men fighting in a park on Haines Drive, near Ribblesdale Avenue, about 11.30pm.
The victim had been in the park with two friends when they were confronted by another group.
Atem, 24, was fatally stabbed in the park.
His friends, two 27-year-old men both from Wyndham Vale, suffered non-life threatening injuries during the incident and were taken to hospital for treatment.
Police believe the attack was a case of mistaken identity, although the exact motivation is yet to be determined.
The 24-year-old died just a three-minute drive from his family home.
It’s the same house where his older brother Atem Atem, 22, was shot dead two years ago during a separate gang attack.
During that attack in 2023, a 25-year-old man also suffered life-threatening-injuries, while a family dog was also shot and killed.
Police do not believe the deaths are linked.
“Lino was simply enjoying a night in the park socialising with friends when he was attacked. While we believe this incident was targeted, there is nothing to indicate why the group was attacked and police believe it is likely a case of mistaken identity,” Detective Acting Inspector Adam Shoesmith said.
“Sadly, this is the second loss for the Atem family after Lino’s brother Atem was fatally shot in 2023.”
READ MORE: Police charge 14 people over antisemitic incidents across Sydney
Investigation sparks arrests
More than 160 detectives assisted in executing 15 search warrants across Melbourne today.
Police arrested 13 individuals, whose ages ranged from 15 to 23 years old, while two cars were seized.
“Over the past two months, this matter has been subject to significant investigation by detectives from the Homicide Squad,” Shoesmith said.
“We are hopeful that today’s arrests and warrants provide investigators with further avenues of enquiry.”
READ MORE: Witness recounts panic after surfer mauled by shark while partner watches from WA beach
Shoesmith urged anyone with information on the stabbing death to come forward.
“We know there are people out there who can help us identify those responsible. People who may have been present at the time of the incident, or people who may have heard information about these incidents after the fact,” he said.
“Whatever that information is – police want to hear it. It could be details about who was involved, how the incident took place or what the motivation for the attack was. Any small detail to could the thing that makes an enormous difference.
“We can’t imagine how difficult it must be for the Atem family knowing there are people out there who could help solve this and hold their loved one’s killers to account, and yet they are choosing not to.”
Investigators are keen to speak to anyone who has any information about Atem’s death, including who was involved or the motivation for the attack.
DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.