BEINSMARTSIDE Australia Tears as five-year wait for justice ends with 10 men found guilty over park murder

Tears as five-year wait for justice ends with 10 men found guilty over park murder

Tears as five-year wait for justice ends with 10 men found guilty over park murder post thumbnail image

Wiping away tears, the family of a teenager fatally stabbed in a group attack could not control their emotions after 10 men were found guilty of the 19-year-old’s murder.

Some broke down while others consoled each other as they left Queensland Supreme Court today, ending an “upsetting” five-year wait for justice.

Girum Mekonnen died from a 25-centimetre deep wound inflicted when his group was ambushed by men with bats, knives and machetes at a Zillmere park in Brisbane’s north on September 13, 2020.

READ MORE: Dutton claims Albanese ‘can’t even get a phone call’ with Trump amid tariff blow

Brisbane stabbing victim Girum Mekonnen.

Twelve murder accused faced the court in Brisbane on today for verdicts following a judge-only trial in November 2024.

Justice Lincoln Crowley found 10, including three brothers, guilty of murdering Mekonnen and of nine assault-related charges against other victims.

As Mekonnen’s family comforted each other, Queensland Police Detective Senior Sergeant Ken Rogers said they had been “extremely upset” during the long legal process.

“Nearly all my detectives have been working closely with the family … we’re very happy for the family and I can say on behalf of them that they are pleased with the outcome,” he said outside court.

Justice Crowley found motive for the park attack was retaliation against a group suspected of bashing of John Wal Wal at an Ipswich shopping centre five days before Mekonnen was stabbed.

READ MORE: ‘Extreme distress’: Influencer cops backlash over baby wombat video

John Wal Wal is the brother of four of the defendants Kresto, Gabreal and Yohana Wal Wal and Santo Wal.

Justice Crowley found Kresto Wal Wal, 29, Gabreal Wal Wal, 31, and Santo Wal, 36, each guilty of murder.

They yelled words to the effect of “this is for my brother” and “you hurt my brother” when they attacked Mekonnen and other victims, the judge said.

Girum Mekonnen died near a soccer club's playing fields at a park in the north Brisbane suburb of Zillmere at 5pm on September 13, 2020.

The trio were also found guilty of nine of 10 other charges including causing grievous bodily harm with intent, unlawful wounding with bats, knives and machetes and assault causing bodily harm against 10 alleged victims.

Majok Riel Majok, 23, Alex Edward Deng, 22, Chan Kuchmol Kon, 28, Joseph Lokolong, 28, Abraham Ajang Yaak, 30, Ben Abio, 23, Juma Makuol Deng Makuol, 28, were also found guilty of murder.

The court was told previously a bladed weapon was pushed 25cm into Mekonnen’s abdomen, severing the most significant vein in his body.

But the prosecution was unable to identify who stabbed him, accusing all defendants of being part of a common unlawful purpose to inflict serious physical harm.

Justice Crowley found the victims had been part of a group that had gathered for an afternoon of drinking and socialising at an old baseball field canteen in O’Callaghan Park.

The defendants who were found guilty were mostly armed when they surrounded the victims.

READ MORE: Murder probe sparked after mum’s body found in ‘horrific circumstances’

“(They) used at least one bat or pole that was either wrapped in something like barbed wire or studded with something like small nails or spikes,” Justice Crowley said in his judgment.

Yohana Wal Wal today was found not guilty of murder and not guilty of 10 other charges related to assaults and wounding.

Malat Akoi Makuach, 25, was also found not guilty of murder and 10 other charges.

Justice Crowley said he was satisfied beyond reasonable doubt Yohana Wal Wal and Makuach had travelled from Ipswich, west of Brisbane, to the murder scene with the other defendants.

But the prosecution had not proved their involvement in or prior knowledge of an armed attack.

Each defendant found guilty said “no” when Justice Crowley asked if they had anything to say before being sentenced.

Justice Crowley said he intended to sentence the defendants on March 31.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Post