BEINSMARTSIDE UK Convicted Al Qaeda terrorist to be released from hospital ‘without risk assessment’

Convicted Al Qaeda terrorist to be released from hospital ‘without risk assessment’

Convicted Al Qaeda terrorist to be released from hospital ‘without risk assessment’ post thumbnail image
Haroon Aswat was linked to the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London (Pictures: PA/Rex)

A convicted Al Qaeda terrorist deemed a danger to national security by police is set to be released from a hospital in the UK, despite a High Court judge saying he has not been formally risk assessed.

Haroon Aswat was jailed for 20 years in 2015 in New York after admitting to two terror-related offences, having previously been involved in attempting to set up a ‘terrorist training camp’ in the US with radical cleric Abu Hamza in the 1990s.

Aswat has been linked to the deadly 7/7 bombings in London – police found 20 calls to a phone linked to Aswat made by the bombers just hours before the terrorist attacks.

But he said that despite a psychiatrist’s finding in 2022 that there ‘remains the risk of Islamic violent extremism’ by Aswat, who had said ‘I am a terrorist’, no risk assessment had been carried out.

He was deported back to the UK in 2022 after periods of custody awaiting extradition to the US were taken into account and has since been detained in hospital, with his release expected soon to his family in West Yorkshire.

At a hearing on Tuesday, the Metropolitan Police applied for a ‘notification order’, meaning Aswat would be subject to certain requirements about informing police of his whereabouts and personal life upon his release.

But the danger posed by Aswat has been pointed out by the Tories, with shadow home secretary Chris Philp saying: ‘It is totally unacceptable that full risk assessments cannot be carried out.’

CCTV screen grabs of the aftermath of the 7/7 terror bombings on public transport, London, Britain - 07 Jul 2005
The 7/7 attacks left 52 people dead and hundreds injured (Picture: Shutterstock)

‘I call on the Government to urgently change the law. Those who pose a danger to the public should be taken off our streets. That’s non-negotiable,’ he added.

Justice Jay said: ‘Although (the psychiatrist) did not conduct a full risk assessment for terrorist risk, he identified 15 of the 22 relevant factors … as being likely to be present.

‘No formal terrorist risk assessment has been carried out in the United Kingdom since the defendant’s return here. The circumstances of his detention have precluded that.

‘However, on the basis of the material which is available, the defendant has been assessed by various police officers … that he remains a risk to national security.’

He said that the psychiatrist had concluded: ‘there remains the risk of Islamic violent extremism-motivated targeted terrorist offending behaviour given his threats to kill Jews, Christians and certain groups of Muslims … (t)here is also a risk of him influencing other vulnerable individuals, as when he is in an abnormal mental state his religious extremist rhetoric is amplified by mental illness’.

Aswat, who is now 50, helped to set up a terrorist training camp in Oregon and Seattle in the US in 1999, which the American government described as a camp ‘to train young impressionable men in America to fight and kill so that they could travel to Afghanistan to join forces with Al Qaeda’.

Mandatory Credit: Photo by REX/Shutterstock (537512a) A British man wanted for questioning by police hunting the mastermind of the July 7 bombings has been arrested in Zambia. Haroon Rashid Aswat, 31, who is originally from the West of Yorkshire is believed to have been in close contact with the four suicide bombers in the days before the attacks on three Tube trains and a bus HAROON RASHID, A REPRESENTATIVE OF ABU HAMZA
Aswat will be released to his family in West Yorkshire (Picture: Shutterstock)

He then travelled to Afghanistan to receive training from Al Qaeda in 2001, and in 2005 was arrested in Zambia and extradited to the UK.

In August that year, he was then arrested in the UK because of an arrest warrant being issued for him in the US, and was eventually extradited.

In March 2015, he pleaded guilty in the US to one count of conspiracy to provide support to a foreign terrorist organisation before January 1, 2000, and to another charge related to providing material to a terrorist organisation.

He was jailed for 20 years but did not serve the full sentence due to ‘periods of detention in this country awaiting extradition’ being taken into account, Mr Justice Jay said.

He was then deported to the UK in 2022, and has since been detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act, with Mr Justice Jay stating his release was ‘expected in the near future’ and that he would ‘return to his family in Yorkshire’.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Post

Two men guilty of stealing £4,750,000 golden toilet during Blenheim Palace raidTwo men guilty of stealing £4,750,000 golden toilet during Blenheim Palace raid

{“@context”:”https://schema.org”,”@type”:”VideoObject”,”name”:”Metro.co.uk”,”duration”:”T58S”,”thumbnailUrl”:”https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2025/02/25/14/95568815-0-image-m-46_1740493560801.jpg”,”uploadDate”:”2025-02-25T14:05:15+0000″,”description”:”CCTV shown in court and released by the CPS shows the moment thieves steal a u00a32.8 million golden toilet from Blenheim Palace.”,”contentUrl”:”https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/met/2025/02/25/3188494752176293071/480x270_MP4_3188494752176293071.mp4″,”height”:270,”width”:480} To view this video please enable JavaScript, and