BEINSMARTSIDE Australia Former bikie boss faces court over alleged arson attack

Former bikie boss faces court over alleged arson attack

Former bikie boss faces court over alleged arson attack post thumbnail image

Former Nomads bikie boss Sayed Moosawi has faced court accused of directing arson attacks on two Bondi businesses.

The 32-year-old was one of 14 people charged following investigations into antisemitic attacks across Sydney’s east.

Police will allege Moosawi was involved in attacks against Curly Lewis Brewery at Bondi Beach and Lewis’ Continental Kitchen last year.

READ MORE: Police say Sydney caravan discovery ‘part of a fabricated terrorism plot’

Former Nomads bikie boss Sayed Moosawi has faced court accused of directing arson attacks on two Bondi businesses.

Lewis’ Continental Kitchen in Bondi was destroyed in an alleged firebombing in October.

“We were just numb, it didn’t seem real, the whole situation,” Judith Lewis, the deli’s owner, told 9News.

Police will allege that Moosawi directed two criminals for hire to firebomb the kosher deli, but they wrongly targeted a nearby brewery.

Police will also allege that Moosawi, who was in court today, then finished the job himself by torching the deli on Curlewis Street.

Outside court, Moosawi’s lawyer Zemarai Khatiz denied the 32-year-old had anything to do with directing the alleged attack.

“He is defending the charge. These are just allegations at this time,” Khatiz said.

The charges come after police alleged a caravan packed with explosives was actually the work of an organised crime network.

In total 12 men and two women have now been charged with 65 offences.

Some were allegedly paid cash, by a so-called “puppetmaster”, to stir up fears of rising antisemitism.

The attacks include a firebombing in Woollahra on December 11, attacks on places of worship in Newtown and South Sydney on January 11, and spray painting cars and buildings in Queens Park on the same day.

READ MORE: Man hit by car after collapsing on suburban road in Melbourne

Other alleged incidents include damage in Kingsford and Randwick on February 2, and the fire-bombing of a childcare centre in Maroubra on January 25, causing $3.4 million in damage.

It all came to an end just days later in Dural with the discovery of an abandoned caravan loaded with explosives and a list of potential Jewish targets.

At the time the premier warned of a threat of a mass casualty event, before police yesterday declared it a fabricated terror plot that was allegedly hatched by criminals to use as a bartering tool to reduce prison time or charges.

“A group of individuals, through a despicable conspiracy, were able to sow fear, division and terror into the Jewish community,” NSW Premier Chris Minns claimed.

Strike Force Pearl detectives have now arrested 29 people and laid a total of 143 charges.

The strike force was established in December to investigate religiously motivated arson attacks and offensive graffiti across the eastern suburbs between October and February.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Post