BEINSMARTSIDE Australia Tough laws introduced after ‘shameful summer of racism’: Minns

Tough laws introduced after ‘shameful summer of racism’: Minns

Tough laws introduced after ‘shameful summer of racism’: Minns post thumbnail image

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has justified rushing new hate speech laws through parliament after the state endured a “summer of racism”.

Controversial hate speech and religious worship laws were passed in February aimed at curbing the spate of antisemitic attacks across NSW.

The new laws introduced a maximum penalty of two years in prison or fines up to $11,000 for inciting racial hatred following incidents of Nazi symbols and antisemitic slurs graffitied on homes, cars and synagogues in Sydney.

READ MORE: Ex-lover ‘carefully planned’ water polo coach’s murder at school

Chris Minns, NSW Premier

There have been calls for Minns to face an inquiry over whether he misled the public and parliament after the laws were pushed through following the Dural caravan plot.

The laws passed parliament shortly after the explosive-laden caravan, which was later revealed to be part of a hoax, was found.

Minns today defended the laws and said they were justified in light of the recent string of antisemitic attacks.

“I introduced those laws because there’d been a summer of racism in NSW,” he told media.

“Separate and aside to the police operation related to (Operation) Kissinger and the caravan out at Dural, it’s just inarguably the case we saw a shameful summer and the hate speech laws we introduced were absolutely necessary to send a message that we won’t tolerate it.”

Minns and NSW Police Minister Yasmin Catley have been questioned needled over when they knew the caravan found with explosives in Sydney’s north-west was not a legitimate terrorist threat.

READ MORE: ‘Deadly’ sea foam infects more than 100 surfers

Antisemitic graffiti in Sydney's east

READ MORE: Gaza truce shatters as Israel carries out ‘extensive’ strikes

During budget estimates last week, Catley refused to answer questions about when she knew the caravan plot was a “con job”.

The police minister declined to reveal when she found out, citing community safety.

On the same day, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese revealed last week he had been aware of the truth behind the caravan plot “for some time”.

Minister for Police and Counter-terrorism, Yasmin Catley, NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb, and Commander of Marine Area Command, Superintendent Joe McNulty officially launch three new vessels into the Marine Area Command. Balmain, February 21, 2025. Photo: Rhett Wyman / SMH

“Are you aware that in the last 50 minutes, even the prime minister has stood up and said he’s been aware for some time. Why can you not do that?” Greens MLC Sue Higginson asked.

“Because I’m not going to,” Catley replied.

The opposition has also said it supports a parliamentary inquiry to investigate the caravan timeline.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Post