
The family of a man hit and killed by a police car has paid tribute to a ‘beloved partner, dad, brother and son’.
Roger Bagnall was killed on Wednesday evening (March 19) as he crossed Yardley Road in the Acocks Green area of Birmingham.
He was hit by a police car responding to reports a man had been seen carrying knives nearby.
40-year-old Roger, a dad of two, died at the scene.
His family said in a statement: ‘On March 19 we lost a beloved partner, dad, brother and son. We are all devastated by Roger’s death.
‘Roger had the biggest heart and loved to make everyone smile with his humour and wit, we loved him very much and will miss him dearly, but we take comfort in the fact his spirit will live on through his children.

‘We have been overwhelmed by all the kind messages of support we have received and feel proud that Roger touched the lives of so many.’
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the collision and actions of West Midlands Police.
So far their investigation has confirmed Roger lived locally, and was confirmed dead by paramedics despite police officers providing first aid before their arrival.
Witnesses provided CCTV footage to the investigation, which confirmed the police car had its sirens and blue lights activated at the time of the crash.
Derrick Campbell, the IOPC’s director, said contrary to some reports on social media, Roger was not on a pedestrian crossing or wearing earphones when he was hit.

He explained: ‘We would urge people not to speculate, which can be unhelpful and cause unnecessary distress.
‘Our role is to independently investigate the involvement of police in this collision to establish all the circumstances surrounding it.
‘That will include looking at any actions taken by the officers and whether those followed policy and procedure.

‘Our thoughts are with Mr Bagnall’s family and friends, and to all those affected by his death in such tragic circumstances.
‘We have met with his family to explain our role, offer support, and to outline the next steps of our independent investigation.
‘Those inquiries are progressing and I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who came forward with CCTV footage as a result of our media appeal. This has proved valuable to our investigation.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.