To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video
A funeral director has been charged after 35 bodies and suspected human ashes were found by police.
Robert Bush, formerly of Kirk Ella, East Yorkshire, has been charged with 30 counts of preventing a lawful and decent burial and 30 counts of fraud by false representation.
These charged follow a ten-month investigation into Legacy Independent Funeral Directors in Hull, Humberside Police said.
It comes after bodies were discovered at the firm’s Hessle Road site in March last year.

Officers said the charges incorporate a total of 254 individual victims.
The 47-year-old has also been charged with one count of fraudulent trading in relation to funeral plans between May 2012 and March 2024, encompassing 172 victims.
Bush also faces one count of fraud in relation to human ashes between August 2017 and March 2024, encompassing 50 victims.
He is also charged with two counts of theft from charities between September 2022 and March 2024.
He is due to appear at Hull Magistrates’ Court on June 25.
At a press conference at Melton Police Station on Wednesday, Deputy Chief Constable Dave Marshall said: ‘On Wednesday March 6 2024, we received information of concern for the care of the deceased at Legacy Independent Funeral Directors across three premises in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire.

‘Following the report, a complex, protracted and highly sensitive 10-month investigation commenced, with a file of evidence submitted to the CPS on January 16 to comprehensively review.
‘Today, I can confirm Robert Bush, formerly of Kirk Ella, East Yorkshire, has been charged with a combined total of 64 offences in connection to the investigation.”
He went on to say: ‘We have updated the families of the 35 deceased with this development and we have made initial contact with additional victims who have been affected by the investigation and we will be personally in touch with them in the coming days.
‘As the investigation now moves into the courts and judicial process, I would please ask people to refrain from any speculation or commenting that could prejudice or jeopardise the case, and to allow those affected to get the answers they desperately need and rightly deserve.

‘My sincerest thanks go out to those affected for their patience and understanding.
‘They have always been the priority and at the very heart of the entire investigation and this will remain, and we would please ask their privacy is continued to be respected.’
A 55-year-old woman arrested in July 2024 has been released with no further action to be taken, police said.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.